Working With the Kitchen - Food-to-Cocktail and Cocktail-to-Food Ingredients
On this page we'll share uses for leftover food items between the kitchen and the bar, such as when the bar uses egg whites for drinks the kitchen can use the yolks to make mayonnaise.
- Cereal - Leftover breakfast cereal used in cereal milk flavored cocktails [link]
- Cherries - I saved the cherry pits when I made brandied cherries and the kitchen used em to make vinegar. [Nicholas Box of Acorn]
- Coffee Grounds
- The kitchen uses the corn kernels for a menu item, and the bar uses the cobs for a vegetable stock. [Boston’s Seth Friedus]
- Corn Cordial - made with corn husk, silk, cobb, and corn, plus reusing the dried husks for garnish. [recipe]
- Doughnuts - I made a donut infused rum (to use up our Saturday brunch cinnamon-sugar donuts), served with a coffee-demerara-chili syrup, old fashioned style. [Luuk Gerritsen of Kome on Curacao]
- Eggs – See Eggs page for uses for leftover yolks.
- Peppers - Once they made some hot sauce or something with espelette peppers, and I asked them to save me seeds and membranes and I made our "fuego" (hot chili tincture). [Nicholas Box of Acorn]
- Popcorn - Make orgeat from leftover popcorn [mentioned here from The 18th Room in NYC]
- Tomatoes – We use tomato water on the bar, and the kitchen uses the remaining pulp for a few different menu items. [Boston’s Seth Friedus]